If you want to establish an organization with portfolios, programs and projects which focus on overall strategy, you will need a supportive system like a guide or a driver. Organization Project Management plays such role in the organization. By the end of this article, you‘ll know, what is Organization Project Management (OPM), how is it helpful and what are the benefits of OPM for the organization?
Thinking about ideas or asking for ideas from many people may be difficult task. Let’s assume that you have selected a good idea as well. But simply having a good idea doesn’t mean much unless it can be converted into results in the real world. As an executive, if your strategies are not capable to convert into projects whose purpose is to provide results for organization’s goals.
Must Read: Definition of Project
Your strategic plans are largely worthless without capable translation into projects and without capable delivery of those projects (Charan and Colvin, 1999)
Strategies are such decisions which tells where and how to compete. To enact strategies, portfolios, programs and projects are formulated. Projects may be to create or change a business, create technology or upgrade products, to rethink and reshape delivery, to transform organization structures or processes, to innovate supply chains, services, or marketing through new profit models, channels, brands, or ways of engaging customers.
Can you guarantee you organization that you can implement its business strategies through projects? Who will help you fulfill your need? Yes, it is Organization Project Management (OPM).
Organization Project Management (OPM) is part within Project Governance and is also called as Organization Framework.
Most Popular Articles
Organization Project Management (OPM) serves as a guide or driver for project, program and portfolio management as well as other organizational practices. It is a framework to keep the organization as a whole focused on overall strategy. It provides direction how portfolios, programs, projects and operations should be prioritized, managed, executed and measured to best achieve strategic goals and desired benefits.
Unless mentioned in the question, you should assume that organization framework is in place when answering the question in your exam.
Organization Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3)
There are four maturity levels for Organization Project Management (OPM). Let’s see it below:
- Establish process governance.
- Document the process, i.e. project, program, and portfolio management processes.
- Communicate the process to the necessary stakeholders.
- Achieve consistent implementation of work methods.
- Identify critical characteristics of the process.
- Focus the process on the needs of the customer, and incorporate performance requirements of customers into process measures.
- Measure the process’s critical characteristics directly.
- Identify measures upstream of the process, and ensure process users understand how other processes produce outputs that become inputs to the process.
- Measure the critical inputs to the process.
- Develop a process control plan.
- Implement a system for maintaining control of the process.
- Operate the process in a stable fashion, consistently within upper and lower control limits, and update process documentation accordingly.
(CONTINUOUS) IMPROVEMENT LEVEL
- Identify root causes of problems during operation of the process.
- Execute continuous efforts with widespread participation directed at improving the process.
- Integrate process improvements with systems that standardize improvements.
Even though OPM was invented as the basis of OPM3, most people today are not aware that OPM3 defined the standard for OPM. They are not aware that OPM3 includes not only the system of OPM but all of the steps described above – steps that are known as “Capability Statements,”
A Key point to understand is that all efforts in the organization should be guided by organization itself and supports its strategic goals.
THREE QUERIES offers easy access to information about SharePoint and associated technologies, project management, agile and scrum methodologies that helps developers, administrators, architects, technical managers, business analysts and end users. It has grown from there. We provide an important knowledge base for those involved in managing, architecture and developing software projects of all kinds. With weekly/daily exclusive updates, we keep you in touch with the latest business, management, technology thinking.
WE ARE CONNECTED ~ Follow us on social media to get regular updates and opinion on what's happening in the world of SharePoint, front-end, back end web technologies and project management. If you like this article, please share it and follow us at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn