I have recently received a question by one of my follower, “Is a project manager higher than a project engineer?” therefore; I thought i should write about it. In this article, I’ll clarify the need of both roles and let you know, who is more important or nobody is higher.
Must Read: Definition of Project
No, you should never say that Project Manager is higher than a Project Engineer. Most of the time project engineer becomes project manager in future but it is not mandatory. Sometimes management graduate directly comes into management role as assistant and becomes project manager. Project manager seeks help of project engineers for his/her project.
Project engineers are mostly engineering/technical graduates with knowledge of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, field specific technologies and latest researches of scientists.
Most Popular Articles
Let’s see the responsibilities of Project Engineer. It may vary based upon the specific industry.
- Assists in preparation and implementation of Project Execution Plan (PEP).
- Attends the Weekly Progress Meetings (Internal as well as with Client) and assist in preparation of Minutes of Meetings.
- Monitors work in progress and prepares weekly report of the status of each assignment.
- Ensuring all procedures and calculations are submitted to the client for review and approval.
- Coordinates materials and assists in the logistics, its shipment and receipt at construction site.
- Coordinates with all projects related personnel (onshore and offshore) on day-today progress of work activities, procurement and operations to ensure timely completion of the project.
- Provide full support as required by the Organization Management for all projects.
With about points do you think that Project Engineer is less valuable than a Project Manager?
I am an Engineering graduate and having Project Management Professional (PMP)certification.
Project Manager is leader, guide, and coach for his team. She/he gives value to the contributions of every stakeholder (customer, end user, sponsor, vendors and project engineers) of the project. Remember, project engineers are those who directly work on project with his/her knowledge and build the product for other stakeholders.
A good project manager has below professional and social responsibilities for everybody involved in the project including Project Engineers.
- Maintain an attitude of mutual cooperation.
- Respect cultural differences.
- Engage in good faith negotiations.
- Be direct in dealing with conflict.
- Don’t use power or position to influence others for own benefit.
- Act impartially without bribery.
- Continuously look for conflicts of interest and disclose them.
- Do not discriminate against others.
- Do not use position for personal or business gain.
- Understand the truth.
- Be truthful in all communications and create truthful environment.
- Make decisions based on the best interests of the company rather than own best interest.
- Only accept assignments you are qualified to complete.
- Ensure proper project planning.
- Protect proprietary information.
- Report unethical behavior and violations.
Nobody is higher and nobody is lower in the roles. Everybody is important and needed!
THREE QUERIES offers easy access to information about SharePoint and associated technologies, project management, agile and scrum methodologies that helps developers, administrators, architects, technical managers, business analysts and end users. It has grown from there. We provide an important knowledge base for those involved in managing, architecture and developing software projects of all kinds. With weekly/daily exclusive updates, we keep you in touch with the latest business, management, technology thinking.
WE ARE CONNECTED ~ Follow us on social media to get regular updates and opinion on what's happening in the world of SharePoint, front-end, back end web technologies and project management. If you like this article, please share it and follow us at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn